St. Maria Goretti Parish
St. Maria Goretti (SMG)
Pastoral Parish Council (PPC) Meeting Report
November 15, 2016
- The Circle of New Friends has received confirmation that the Darwch family is scheduled to arrive at the Ed- monton International Airport on December 1 at 11:35 a.m. All parishioners are invited to gather at the Air- port to meet and welcome the Darwch family to our community.
- The Circle of New Friends is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, November 22, 7:00 p.m., St. Maria Goretti Church, to confirm the immediate arrangements for the reception of the Darwch family.
- Pat March and Dave Brannick provided a brief report of the revised Together in Ministry (TIM) workshop that they attended on October 22. Pat will inquire with the Edmonton Archdiocese as to the next Called to Protect presentation, which parishioners who are new to SMG ministries may wish to attend.
- The PPC members concurred that, for the time being, they would defer any revision to the SMG Mission Statement.
- The PPC discussed potential action items to advance the three major objectives of the next edition of the SMG Pastoral Plan, that is, continuing to support the sponsorship of the Edris and Darwch families, nurturing the prayer life of the SMG community, especially families, and growing the relationship between the children and their families of Holy Spirit School and St. Maria Goretti Parish.
- In that regard, the PPC agreed to host a Lenten Mission evening on March 29 at 7:00 p.m., the theme of which will focus on prayer.
- The PPC received the third quarter financial report. The highlights of the financial report as of September 30, 2016 are that, although the budgeted operating expenses are consistent with projections, the revenues are less than estimated. As of this date, it is excpected that there will be an approximate deficit of $17,000.00 for the year ending December 31, 2016. The PPC suggested the chair of the Finance Committee may wish to speak at the weekend masses to encourage parishioners to include extraordinary donations to the operations of SMG on their Christmas list.
- The PPC also agreed with the recommendation of the Finance Committee to establish a building fund reserve in the amount of $20,000.00 annually for the next five (5) years. The building fund reserve would be used for capital projects such as the replacement of the Church shingles, furnaces, etc.
- Father James reported that the Sacrament of Reconciliation for SMG is scheduled for December 13, 7:00 p.m., the SMG Christmas Eve mass will be celebrated at 5:00 p.m., and there will be a 10:00 a.m. mass on Christmas Day. The liturgies for New Year’s Eve and Day will be at the same times as the regular weekend masses.
The next PPC meeting date is Tuesday, December 22, 2016, 7:00 p.m.
St. Maria Goretti
Pastoral Parish Council (PPC) Meeting Topics
September 22, 2016
- St. Maria Goretti PPC welcomed three new members: Theresa Hiff, Dave Brannick, and Robert Bruin. We are grateful for their servant leadership to our parish community.
- An update regarding the sponsorship of our Syrian families was provided.
- Father James summarized the report of the annual facility assessment (church and rectory) conducted by the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton. The consultant’s assessment was very positive.
- Members of the PPC will host hospitality on the fourth Sunday of each month.
- During future meetings, the PPC will focus on the information contained in the revised Together in Ministry manual. On October 15, Father James and several PPC members will attend a Together in Ministry workshop.
- Father James outlined the Archdiocesan theme for the upcoming year, that is, Pastoral Conversion.
- The next meeting date is Tuesday, October 18, 2016, 7:00 p.m.