Sacrament comes from the Latin word Sacramentum, which is how we usually translate the Greek word for ‘mystery.’ It could also be translated as ’a military oath of allegiance.’ From that perspective, there are two key thoughts here:
1) The Christian idea of ‘mystery.’ When we talk about a mystery (ie the Mystery of faith), we’re not trying to be Sherlock Holmes and solve something, but instead are invited to discover the many layered ways in which God is working in our lives.
2) The idea of an oath, pledge, guarantee, or promise: In every Sacrament, God renews His promises to give us grace (strength to do what we need to do), and we are invited to promise to love and follow Him.
YouCat explains further:
Celebrating the Christian Mysteries (Sacraments) is about encountering Jesus in Time. Until the end of time He is present in His Church. The most profound encounter with Him on earth is liturgy (divine worship.) …just as a man breathes air in order to stay alive, so too the Church lives and breathes by celebrating the liturgy. God himself is the one who breathes new life into her day by day and enriches her with gifts through His Word and His Sacraments. -YouCat 166
For information or to register please call the parish office at 780-987-2858.
Join us in celebrating all of the Sacraments at St. Maria Goretti Parish:
Group Leader: The sacramental programs at St. Maria Goretti Catholic Parish are designed to accommodate the needs of our faith community. Volunteers are required to lead and assist in all the student preparation sessions. Parents are welcome and encouraged either to lead the sessions or assist while their child is attending.
If you require more information please contact Margaret Cargill, Educational Coordinator for St. Maria Goretti Parish at 780-987-0353 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) program for the 2018/2019 year will start in October. Classes will be held every Wed. evening at St. Maria Goretti Parish from 7 PM to 9 PM.
Anointing of the Sick
- If someone in your family is ill and requires Fr. Arun, please contact the parish office at 780-987-2858.
Please call the parish office for more information! Next class begins October 2, 2018.
- Baptisms preparation takes place on the 1st Tuesday of the month at 7pm. You must register before the class. Call the parish office for the registration package at 780-987-2858
Confirmation Preparation Classes
- Confirmation classes are open to all children in grade 6 or higher who have received the sacraments of Baptism and First Holy Communion.
- Please bring a copy of your Child’s Baptism Certificate and a $30.00 fee to cover the cost of books and other program materials.
- Registration for 2018/19 classes will occur Wednesday October 3, 2018 at 7:45.
First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion Preparation Classes
- Preparation for the sacraments occurs in the parish community, and parents must request the sacraments for their children. They do not automatically happen because the child is in the Catholic school system.
- First Holy Communion Classes & First Reconciliation Classes are open to all children in grade 2 or higher who have received the sacrament of Baptism.
- Please bring a copy of your child’s Baptism Certificate and a $30.00 fee to cover the cost of books and other program materials.
- Registration for 2018/19 classes will occur Wednesday October 3, 2018 at 7:00.
- If you’re newly engaged and planning to get married, congratulations! If you wish to get married at St. Maria Goretti please contact the parish 6 months prior to the proposed marriage date to arrange a meeting with Fr. Arun at 780-987-2858.
Priesthood/Permanent Diaconate (Holy Orders)
- God is still calling workers to his vineyard. If you think you might have a call to serve him as a priest or permanent Deacon, please contact Fr. Marc Cramer at the vocations office at 780-392-2445 ext. 6221, or come see Fr. Arun in the parish office.
- Please see our Mass times page for our weekly and daily celebrations of the Eucharist.
- Confessions are available is offered Tuesday-Saturday half an hour before Mass, or any time by appointment (call 780-987-2858.)